It is normal to feel shocked, helpless, hopeless, afraid or angry when you find out you have diabetes. Take action to feel well.
- Have self-compassion.
- Sleep well.
- Manage stress, anxiety and depression.
- Have healthy relationships.
Feeling well can help you manage your diabetes. There are actions you can take to feel well.
What You May Be Feeling
When you find out you have diabetes it is common to feel:
These emotions are normal. You react this way because having diabetes changes your life. Diabetes is not your fault. You did not choose for it to happen.
Manage Your Feelings
There are things you can do to manage your feelings. You can:
- name what you are feeling, for example, "I am scared".
- accept you have strong emotions.
- learn about diabetes. Know what you can do to manage diabetes and thrive. Learn how to have a healthy life with diabetes.