It is normal to feel shocked, helpless, hopeless, afraid, or angry when you find out you have diabetes. You react this way because having diabetes changes your life. Diabetes is not your fault. You did not choose for it to happen.
Feeling well can help you manage your diabetes. There are actions you can take to feel well:
- Have concern and empathy for yourself (self-compassion)
Find out how self-compassionate you are and what self-compassion looks like »
- Sleep well
Find out what a good night sleep means »
- Manage your stress, anxiety and depression
Find out what you can do to manage stress, anxiety and depression »
- Have healthy relationships
Find tips on having a healthy relationship »
To help manage your feelings:
- Name what you are feeling, for example, “I am scared”.
- Accept that you have strong emotions.
- Learn about diabetes and how to have a healthy life.